View Single Post
Old August 22 2012, 04:29 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

Re: Disney to Remake/ Reboot The Rocketeer

The Rocketeer was a creator-owned comic book by the late Dave Stevens, not a comic strip. As it happens, IDW Comics has also recently revived The Rocketeer with a couple of anthology miniseries plus an upcoming single-story miniseries.

I haven't read the original comics, but from what I've read about them, they differed from the movie in some significant respects. Cliff's girlfriend in the comics wasn't a wholesome aspiring actress named Jenny, but a pinup/cheesecake model named Betty who was a roman a clef and lookalike for real-life pinup queen Bettie Page. (Ohh, if only we could've seen Jennifer Connelly acting out some of Betty's most memorable scenes from the comics...) And the emphasis of the comic was more on Cliff and Betty's romance (and his discomfort with her nude modeling and her status as a sex symbol for millions) than on the action. It would be nice if a movie remake adapted the Betty character faithfully instead of toning her down as the original did, but given that it's still from Disney, I doubt that will happen.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote