View Single Post
Old August 22 2012, 12:54 AM   #699
Ghostface1701
Commander

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
22 Stars wrote: View Post
Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post

There were only nine survivors out of 504 colonists, but all anyone cares about is the death of the white girl.
Pretty sure the girl in this ep is Asian.
That's what it looked like to me.
Ah, yes, my bad. I went back and rewatched the scene, but missed that brief shot of her face. It doesn't make too much of a difference though, as my issue is that the writers think we can only feel sad and conflicted about Riker's dilemma if we focus on the pretty little (light-skinned) girl. See also Missing White Woman Syndrome.

Moving on, I watched Heart of Glory yesterday, and while I enjoyed it, I'm really starting to see why Denise Crosby was unhappy. In this episode more than any I've seen so far, she had so little to do and barely spoke at all. At this stage in the show, Worf was still little more than a recurring guest star, but he got his own episode before Yar did. I have to assume though that she'd made her decision to leave by this point anyway.

Excluding Yar, this season has given each of the main cast their moment in the spotlight. I was quite surprised that even Troi has a valuable function, before being relegated to saying "Something's wrong" or not knowing what a warp core breach was in later seasons.

Geordi-Vision is interesting, and I see now why he's always suffered from headaches. If I were him though, I might point out that each member of the Away Team has scanning equipment, and his job isn't to be a walking Tricorder! Maybe that's why he hid away in Engineering from Season 2!
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote