View Single Post
Old August 21 2012, 08:25 PM   #1461
Paper Moon
Commander

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

flemm wrote: View Post
Paper Moon wrote: View Post
Honestly, without some sort of revelation, I think Bashir would've ended up being the least developed and least interesting character in DS9.

Well, I think that was partly what motivated the change, yeah. I think also he tended to register as the least popular regular character at the time.

I can also see why Siddig really didn't like it, though, especially the early attempts to duplicate Data-like computations. This is what I meant by it being an attempt to turn him into DS9's Data: early in the next season there are a couple of scenes like this, where he makes calculations faster than the ship's computer. You can almost see the distaste in Siddig's performance. Then they dropped it, basically.
Oh, okay, I see what you mean. Yeah, you're right, they did tone in down quite a bit, which is probably good.

And I agree that the way Siddig found out really isn't okay. In his position, I would have been pretty pissed. "What, first I'm changeling and now I'm genetically enhanced too? What's next?"

Anyway, I'm not saying you should agree it was a bad idea, or that it was not a valid choice in some abstract way. I just never really liked it, and didn't think it was worth it.
I should probably walk back my enthusiasm for the whole idea a bit. I think it can be made to make sense in the fun way that many other things in DS9 can be made to make sense ex post facto, but the sudden, rash decision in-and-of-itself was definitely a poor production call. Sorta like, in-universe, it's cool, but out-of-universe, not so much. The idea was good, the decision and execution were not. So I definitely understand where you're coming from.

I think Section 31 would have worked anyway, as the main story there was the combination of his interest in being a spy and his idealism being put to the test. Certainly Section 31 must have a lot of operatives that are not genetically engineered or similar.
I wouldn't be too sure of that, actually. I'd bet that a lot of 31 operatives have some sort of superiority complex (or at least a latent one), and Bashir's enhancements did give him, theoretically, such a complex.

But in any case, I'm just not sure it would have made sense from a story perspective to have 31 be interested in a non-enhanced Bashir. Why try to take an overly idealistic Starfleet officer and try to convert him to a ruthless and utterly pragmatic cause? Why not take someone we already know to make morally questionable calls in the name of the greater good (like Sisko when dealing with Eddington, or eventually during the Vreenak affair, or Worf during "Rules of Engagement") and work to convert them instead?

And I just don't buy Bashir's spy programs as reason for 31 to be interested. They're just that– games, and in 31's place, I'd be worried that Bashir would treat a real spy mission as just another game. Too much risk.
Paper Moon is offline   Reply With Quote