View Single Post
Old August 21 2012, 04:25 AM   #1093
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Just finished Siegfried by Alex Alice. It's a really good distillation of Wagner, Volsungasaga and the Nibelungleid with some really interesting new additions. The art is beautiful, with some fantastic looking landscapes and interesting character designs on Odin, the Valkyries and a very Henson-ish Mime. I will say it is a bit short, and 1/3 of the book is bonus material, but I enjoyed it a lot as a fan of that particular myth cycle and Wagner. I am sorely tempted to order the original French versions, as the official Archia twitter account told me the next two volumes won't be out in the USA until 2013 and 2014! In the bonus material, it seems that the comic is telling a similar but slightly different story to an animated project Alex Alice is spearheading, but I can't seem to find out if that came to fruition. Reminds me a bit of a what Darren Arronofsky did with The Fountain. (Release a Graphic Novel as a "pitch piece" while the film is limbo or post-production.)

As much as I intended to move on from TrekLit for a bit, I ended up reading Star Trek: TNG/X-Men - Planet X. I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. While it's not the most amazing prose it is a lot of fun, though I haven't really gotten to a point where the E-E crew or X-Men have a mission! I do enjoy the little mutual attraction Storm and Xavier have for each other. It's cute, if a little unsubtle. But it's not something I knew I was interested in seeing until I read it!

Last edited by BritishSeaPower; August 21 2012 at 04:39 AM.
BritishSeaPower is offline   Reply With Quote