View Single Post
Old August 21 2012, 03:27 AM   #102
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile
Re: Re-watching Babylon 5 (* SPOILERS *)

Who is/are your favorite character(s)?

Jeffrey Sinclair because he seemed very atypical in comparison to the standard SF-TV hero, which Sheridan seemed to fall more in line with. And, of course, Londo and G'Kar because of all the characters on the show, they seemed to have the strongest motivations in terms of the overall arc of the show.

What is/are your favorite season(s) of the series?

A few years ago I would've said Season 3, aka "Point of No Return" or, as JMS originally wanted to call it, "I Am Become Death, Destroyer of Worlds." Every trigger gets pulled and the show forever changed, which was very uncommon for an SF-TV series. In a lot of ways, it still is. (Yeah, I'm looking at you nuBSG for chickening out a lot.)

But as the years go on, I much prefer the first two seasons of the show because it had more depth into the lives of "the quarter of a million people trapped in two-million thousand tons of spinning metal, alone in the night." Granted the writing was very hit or miss in those seasons, but I liked that there were other writerly voices besides JMS in the stories even though my favorite episodes happen to be written by JMS.

I've said this before and I'll say it again: if BABYLON 5 was to return to television, I think it's the perfect backdrop for an ongoing anthology series with different writers fully exploring the lives of those who chose to make the station their home. That's what I had hopes THE LOST TALES would've been.

What is/are your favorite episode(s) of the series?

Season One:

"Midnight on the Firing Line"
"Believers"
"And the Sky Full of Stars"
"Babylon Squared" (I have fond memories of this episode, as I was in the San Diego Comic Con audience when JMS screened it before it had even aired. It's also the convention where JMS announced Michael O'Hare wouldn't be coming back for season two.)

Season Two:
"Soul Mates"
"The Coming of the Shadows"
"And Now For a Word"
"The Fall of Night"

Season Three:
"Passing Through Gesthsemane" (my all time favorite episode)
"War Without End, parts one and two"
"Z'ha'Dum"

Season Four:
"Atonement"
"Intersections in Real Time"
"The Deconstruction of Falling Stars"

Season Five:
"Day of the Dead"
"And All My Dreams, Torn Asunder"
"The Fall of Centauri Prime"

What are your favorite quotes from the series (one or two from each season)?

G'Kar: There are things in the Universe billions of years older than either of our races. They are vast, timeless, and if they are aware of us at all, it is as little more than ants and we have as much chance of communicating with them as an ant has with us. We know. We've tried and we've learned that we can either stay out from underfoot or be stepped on. They are a mystery and I am both terrified and reassured to know that there are still wonders in the Universe, that we have not explained everything. Whatever they are, Miss Sakai, they walk near Sigma 957 and they must walk there alone.

G'Kar: G'Quon wrote: "There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope. The death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of ctransition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always paved in pain."

General Susan Ivanova: Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another. It changed the future, and it changed us. It taught us that we have to create the future or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have care for one another, because if we don't, who will? And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely places. Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope that there can always be new beginnings, even for people like us.

What is the one story arc or plot thread you would have liked to have had more information on?

CRUSADE.