View Single Post
Old August 20 2012, 12:54 AM   #12
Shatinator
Commander

Re: Transphasic shields in the novels

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Okay, apology accepted.

Still, there was one main drawback to the armor in the episode itself, namely that it was stupid. For 35 years we'd been shown that Federation technology had energy shields that were immensely more advanced and effective than any physical armor, and then suddenly Berman & Braga decide they can represent even more futuristic shielding by slapping a bunch of metallic Venetian blinds around the ship? It doesn't even fit within the rules and conventions of the fictional universe, let alone the real one.
Christopher, following your logic how does this physical shielding from "Endgame" differ that much from the Defiant's 'Ablative Armor' from DS9. My understanding is that it is a physical construct as well and not an energy based system.

To the OP, I was under the impression that Transphasic shields were linked to the TNG episode "Decent", where Crusher was able to delay the Borg by moving closer to a star than the Borg were able to. This was continuity from the episode "Suspicions".

If so I find it much preferable to "polarizing" the hull that Enterprise tried pulling, another B & B move.