View Single Post
Old August 19 2012, 08:29 PM   #592
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Timby wrote: View Post
As I said, hitting for average is a meaningless skill when it's your only ability to get on base -- a .280 batting average isn't worth shit when it's backed up by a .311 OBP. This isn't a knee-jerk reaction, either: During his entire career in the minors, he was allergic to walks, and instead of putting him in AAA to continue developing, they shot him up to the majors straight from AA. You can develop power, but you don't suddenly develop a brand-new eye for the strike zone. Add in the fact that he's a mental midget and should have his glove confiscated, and you've got a guy who will be struggling for a roster spot in two or three years.
You don't suddenly develop an eye for the strike zone? Yes, you absolutely can. It's called experience. This guy led the NL in hits at the age of 21. That is ridiculous. You say his "entire minor league" career like he is some journeyman college player. He hasn't hit less than .299 at any level except for this year. Man this is why fans aren't GM's. Like I said, tremendous upside with a little immaturity. I'd take him in a heartbeat. I've seen him play the field, he will make a few errors but he isn't the worst fielding shortstop I've seen. He still has good range and a strong arm. I think the errors will drop as well.