View Single Post
Old August 18 2012, 04:13 PM   #948
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

229. The Lookout: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A promising young man (Joseph Gordon-levitt) has his life turned upside down after being injured in a car accident that he caused. His brain was traumatized and although he can function normally, he has to work his way through daily routines carefully and consciously. His girlfriend (Laura Vandervoort) who was in the accident is no longer with him, but he has the support of family and his blind roommate (Jeff Daniels). Then one day, he meets a guy in a bar (Matthew Goode) and a girl who's taken an interest in him (Isla Fisher) and ends up being used to rob the bank he works at as a night janitor. The outcome was a bit formulaic but it's an engaging piece with a good cast and I liked the small wintery town atmosphere and non-descript city. I figured out that it was shot in Canada, but didn't know until the end credits that it was in and around Winnipeg.

230. I Could Never Be Your Woman: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - A divorced mother/TV producer falls for one of the stars of her show, a guy who is a lot younger. Stars Michelle Pfeiffer and Paul Rudd. The movie tackles the issue of aging and trying to stay young. It's a watchable rom com that might hit home for those who are getting older like. Other thoughts... I've never really noticed how attractive Michelle Pfeiffer is until this movie, and Paul Rudd certainly gets a lot of work and has had some pretty high profile leading ladies. Now he has Pfeiffer on the list.

231. Fast Food Nation: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - This is a film about what goes into making a fast food burger. It's based on the book Fast Food Nation and it moves between three stories... 1) The VP of marketing for Mickey's, who's sent to a processing plant to investigate the claim that too much cow manure in the meat. 2) A group of illegal aliens from Mexico who are seeking a better life in the U.S., only to end up working in the meat packing plant, and 3) A teenage girl who works at Mickey's. The all-star cast includes Greg Kinnear, Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke, Ashley Johnson, Wilmer Valderrama, Kris Kristopherson, Avril Lavigne and Bruce Willis. The movie doesn't delve too deeply into the whole fast food process and it does get bogged down in the character drama at times, but it's still a decent movie and makes you feel, just a little, for the position it takes.

232. 88 Minutes: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - A criminal psychologist who put a man on death row is being taunted by someone who says he has 88 minutes to live. He then uses that time to get to the bottom of things, and like 24, he gets a lot done all over town in those 88 minutes. Stars Al Pacino, and he's surrounded by a bevy of beautiful woman like Alicia Witt, Leelee Sobieski and BSG's Leah Cairns. The movie is shot in Vancouver and you'll have fun picking out the few faces from Stargate and BSG. It's a decent thiller but it's not a great movie.

233. The Terrorist Next Door: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - A young man from Algeria moves to Canada, and through the muslim community, ends up becoming a terrorist for Al Quaida. Kathleen Robertson and Michael Ironside are in this one. I found this to be good for a TV movie. It at least gives the audience a bit of insight into what goes into turning young people toward the terrorist cause. Not much, but some.

234. The Expendables 2: (✩✩✩) - Theatre - Dumb action movie just like the first one, but it's nice to see a lot of the biggest action stars from the past three decades. I liked this one more than the first one because Schwarzenegger and Willis had bigger parts, and because they managed to get Jean Claude Van Damme and Chuck Norris. More comments here.

Theatre: 14
DVD/Blu-Ray: 86
Live TV: 91
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 34
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote