View Single Post
Old August 16 2012, 11:16 PM   #225
tomswift2002
Captain

Re: TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Paris wrote: View Post
tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
I finished the book a few days ago and it still feels unsettling. It feels like this book coud've used another six or twelve months of polish.

With the Andorian warship I kept expecting someone too say that it was one that the Andorians had pulled out of mothballs from over 200 years earlier and just upgraded, but no one said anything (just how long were the Andorians planning on seceding from the Federation). And I don't get how the Andorians could've built new warships without Starfleet knowing about it. The Historians note says that the story starts two weeks after the secession, but the Andorians have fully constructed warships, even though Starfleet would've had a bases and starships in the Andorian system upto the withdrawal; I doubt that the Andorians would've needed a space fleet when they had Starfleet. And the book takes place over the course of no more than to weeks.

I would give the book a rating of 2.5 out of 10.
This confused me as well. Are we missing something, or did the editor not notice...
I've found that with Michale A. Martin's Trek books, his last couple of Roddenberry-verse novels (except "Beneath The Raptor's Wing") have not been anywhere near as good as his novels from when he was writing with Andy Mangels (except Last Full Measure is still even worse than Fallen Gods). But, I have to agree with someone else on this forum about the religion/science not working together bashing that was in the novel; even the title tends to lean in that direction.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote