Old August 16 2012, 10:06 AM   #135
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan
Re: Exploring a darker theme in a future star trek series

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
The Castellan wrote: View Post
Hell, no!

Every other series made out there, from Star Wars, to Battlestar, to even Doctor Who is dark and gritty already.

Just because we live in post 9-11 world, does not mean I want it crammed down my throat.

I like Trek because it shown man had actually gotten better, actually grew up and petty thing we fight over now is gone.
Star Trek only looks bright and happy because during TOS no one ever thought about the fact that they could die or be horribly tortured or be made a plaything of a godlike alien at any moment of the day and there wasn't a damned thing they could do about it, frankly I'm surprised most of the people in TOS were still sane.

Anything after that was just the trek-verse becoming boring as everyone held on to the whole utopia thing.

Personally I think Star Trek should go back to the days wen the universe was exciting and dangerous and take it a little more seriously when the darker things happen, while also having some fun occasionally.
The folks in TOS knew, from the beginning that, as Kirk said, "Risk IS the business." Dwelling on when and how one's going to get killing while serving on board a statship would be a vain occupation. Same with TNG. The first 2 or 3 years of TNG showed how unsafe and dangerous space could be, and everyone on the Enterprise knew that, they just are not the paranoid, panic mongering people you see on stuff like...say, Doctor Who....the English public in the new series panic at anything beyond the mundane, the Daleks would be doing them a favor by wiping them out.

And regarding Utopia, whatever they have going in that world, socially, economically and politcally, sure's a hell of a lot better than what we got, and if given a chance, I'd go there, and flip this world off.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote