View Single Post
Old August 15 2012, 06:15 PM   #51
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: No News, No Nothing!!

The Stig wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Thankfully, I have a sense of self worth and I don't have to read other people's thoughts on a movie to formulate my own opinion. So an appeal to populism isn't going to sway me.
Well bully for you. Here's the thing, since you're such an individual it'd probably behoove you not to pretend that your individual opinion translates to the wider audience.

As for the box office figures? So what? Back when STII came out you could get into a movie theater and with snacks under five dollars. Now you can't get into a movie theater without breaking at least two twenties.
Star Trek (2009) was the highest-grossing Star Trek feature to date, even when adjusted for inflation.

As for the proposition that there should be more promotional material out for Trek, it's still quite a ways off. 'Man of Steel' just got a teaser a month ago and it's a way bigger deal than Trek. I'm sure we'll see a teaser in the next few months.
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
Thankfully, I have a sense of self worth and I don't have to read other people's thoughts on a movie to formulate my own opinion. So an appeal to populism isn't going to sway me..
Perhaps. But the original assertion that there was a general sense of disappointment regarding the last movie doesn't seem to be borne out by the general audience.

It's fair to say you were disappointed, but don't speak for the rest of us.

And what's wrong with populism? Isn't pop culture supposed to be, well, popular?

Star Trek was never supposed to be some exclusive club.
That's what I did say if you both will kindly read back on my previous posts before jumping to conclusions and putting words in my mouth. I found it disapointing. If you didn't well "bully for you" right back.

Just because I don't share your opinion doesn't preclude me from voicing my own.