View Single Post
Old August 15 2012, 04:10 PM   #109
neozeks
Captain

Re: Is the Federation a True Democracy? And How Did It Reach That Poin

Sci wrote: View Post
I'm sorry the thought bothers you, but they fit the definition just fine. They were wealthy, land-owning white men (many of whom, like Jefferson, had inherited their wealth and status), who had attained their roles in colonial governments by being "elected" by other wealthy land-owning white men, and who designed a government that only gave a voice to wealthy, land-owning white men. Hell, they even designed the Constitution with the specific intent of making sure one particular man (George Washington) would become the first president. They fit the definition of oligarchs to a T.
Of course, while they certainly shouldn't be deified and mindlessly worshiped today, it should be noted that even with all the flaws they and their Constitution were still very progresive and revolutionary for their time.

Pavonis wrote: View Post
One member, one vote is unfair to larger populations - they're underrepresented. Proportional voting is unfair to smaller populations - they're underrepresented!
Right, and that's why bicameral legislatures exist. Maybe the Federation Council is bicameral too, which would solve that problem. We don't really have any firm evidence either way, even though it seems most accepted (in the novels as well) that it's unicameral.

One way to combine "one member, one vote" and proportionality in a single-chamber legislature would be to add a second requirement for something to pass - it's not enough that a majority of Councillors vote for it, they also have to represent a majority of the population. Something like how the Council of the EU will work under the new Lisbon Treaty. The Council of the EU is a rather special (quasi)legislative body that isn't really elected in the way I imagine the Federation Council is, but the voting mechanism could still work. If we also want to include the line about Bajor choosing multiple councillors we could say every member gets more than one, but still an equal number of Councillors. That would allow the members' populations to be represented by more than just one voice in the Councill. And a legislature of just 150-ish councillors strikes me as a bit small for something as huge as the Federation.

Do we even know what the definition of a UFP Member is? Is it by planet? By government? By species?
Seems most logical and workable that it would be by government. Though I could imagine a parallel structure of species-based councils/institutions existing for matters related solely to a single species, mostly those matters connected to a species' biology - say, age of consent and so on. Sort of like how Belgium has parliaments for both each of it's federal regions AND for each of it's language communities (for matters relating to culture, language, etc.). Not that Belgium is exactly a shining example of a stable and functional federal state...

Last edited by neozeks; August 15 2012 at 04:20 PM.
neozeks is offline   Reply With Quote