View Single Post
Old August 15 2012, 02:50 PM   #57
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Crossover with other franchises?

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
JRoss wrote: View Post
Firefly and Dune both have: no sentient aliens, psychic powers, a fairly low-tech setting.... I'm thinking of Firefly taking place thousands of years before Dune, before the invention of FTL drives, and before the Butlerian Jihad. I just kind of see Firefly as when humanity starts to rise from the loss of Earth, and with River and her ilk as precursors of the Bene Gesserit.
Okay, finally a useful answer to the question. I don't know or care about all that other stuff, and I don't want to see the thread derailed by it any further. I don't think it's appropriate to attack authors personally just because you didn't like something they wrote. And Mr. Anderson was kind enough to give me a very positive promotional quote for Only Superhuman, so I don't want anything to do with your hatefest.

I suppose it's possible that characters in the 'Verse just haven't found alien life or FTL drive yet, but I'm not sure that's consistent with the intent. So I do think it's somewhat forced.
oooOOOOoooo.... so somebody's pissed off that I'm not agreeing with him just because he's a published author?

Bullshit. And Christopher, you just attacked ME, by categorizing my profound distaste for a hack author ruining a classic as a "hatefest." Trust me, what I said is MILD in comparison to what others have said.

I DID give you useful information - the page you linked to is pure crap that's NOTHING to do with the actual novel Dune.

You've just lost a reader. Congratulations. And it's nothing to do with your writing. It's because you're being a jerk. And I wouldn't be so proud of an endorsement by KJA. He can churn out quantity, definitely. Too bad not much of it is quality.
Yeah, he has been doing that for years. He lives to needle people and show people up with his "knowledge." He still has no idea why so many people call him Kia behind his back. Who knows? He may even be a halfway-decent writer, but he's such a jerk that he drives potential readers away.

As for KJA, he's a nice enough guy. I've had the pleasure of meeting him several times now, and he's always friendly and personable - online and in person (some writers could learn from that) - but he does live by quantity over quality.

Still, I'm looking forward to Stewartquake, the follow-up to Shatnerquake, but featuring Patrick Stewart and his various characters. Would love to see his characters from Jeffrey and Lifeforce having a chat with Picard. It would be a hoot!