View Single Post
Old August 15 2012, 06:36 AM   #51
JRoss
Captain

Re: Crossover with other franchises?

Timewalker wrote: View Post
JRoss wrote: View Post
Am I the only one here who views Firefly/Serenity as a prequel to Dune?
Whut?

Please explain this... I never saw Firefly/Serenity, but always heard them described as "Wild West" in space. What does this have to do with Dune?
Christopher wrote: View Post
I don't see how they could go together. Firefly/Serenity is devoid of FTL travel or alien life, and Dune has both. The only points of similarity I see offhand are that there are psychic powers in both (a common trait of many SF universes) and that Earth has been destroyed in the Dune universe -- except that happened around 12,800 CE, whereas FF/S established that "Earth was used up" centuries before the series' timeframe of 2517 CE.

And don't give me that "not part of his vision" line. The stuff I've written for Star Trek wasn't part of Roddenberry's vision either. All that matters is whether something is good or bad. Purism is an illegitimate basis for determining quality.
Christopher, you are a better writer than KJA and BH put together. Their "Dune" books are utter garbage. KJA is a parasite who obviously never understood the Dune series. AFAIK, there are very few serious Dune fans who give any of their work consideration.

Firefly and Dune both have: no sentient aliens, psychic powers, a fairly low-tech setting. As for that timeline stuff, well, nobody cares what KJA says. I'm thinking of Firefly taking place thousands of years before Dune, before the invention of FTL drives, and before the Butlerian Jihad. I just kind of see Firefly as when humanity starts to rise from the loss of Earth, and with River and her ilk as precursors of the Bene Gesserit.