View Single Post
Old August 13 2012, 06:46 PM   #41
nightwind1
Commodore

Re: No News, No Nothing!!

R. Star wrote: View Post
shivkala wrote: View Post
A wise man once said: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Once the trailer comes, the bitching will erupt. "Too much lens flare!" "Not enough lens flare!" "Oh man, they're doing a re-tread of Khan!" "Oh man, they're not doing a re-tread of Khan!" "Too much Kirk, not enough Spock!" "Too much Spock, not enough Kirk" "Too much Kirk and Spock, no Riley!" "They went with Riley and still no Rand?" "They have Rand? Of course they're trying to appeal to the sexist men!" "They don't have Rand, they're not doing enough for the sexist men!" "Spock isn't shouting!" "Spock is shouting!"

I think I've made my point...
Expectations are low. After the disapointment of the last one, getting excited seems premature.
Disappointment?

What disappointment?

Many of us enjoyed the hell out of it.

And apparently, we're not the only ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28film%29

The film is the highest-grossing in the United States and Canada from the entire Star Trek film franchise, eclipsing The Voyage Home and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Its opening weekend numbers alone outgross the entire individual runs of The Undiscovered Country, The Final Frontier, Insurrection and Nemesis. Star Trek ended its United States theatrical run on October 1, 2009, with a box office total of $257,730,019, which currently places it as the seventh highest-grossing film for 2009 behind The Hangover. The film grossed $127,764,536 in international markets, for a total worldwide gross of $385,494,555. While foreign grosses represent only 31% of the total box office receipts, executives of Paramount were happy with the international sales, as Star Trek historically was a movie franchise that never has been a big draw overseas.
Star Trek received very positive reviews from film critics. The film has a 95% approval rating on the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 292 reviews with an average rating of 8.1/10, with the consensus: "Star Trek reignites a classic franchise with action, humor, a strong story, and brilliant visuals, and will please traditional Trekkies and new fans alike." Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score, gave the film a 83 out of 100 based on 37 reviews from critics
Doesn't sound disappointing to me.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.