View Single Post
Old August 13 2012, 12:35 PM   #384
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile
Re: Buffy season nine discussion thread

Issue 12 was the dullest, most uneventful issue so far.

I'm not a big fan of Angel & Faith either - it's just Gage trying to throw in as many possible guest spots by Buffyverse characters, which obviously gets people happy (as opposed to the Buffy book losing more and more main characters), but when you look past that, nothing of note has actually happened there either. Add to that that the annoying attempts to retcon/ignore the implications of Angel's actions in season 8 has been , and the characterization of Angel which is so bland and cardboard. They've been doing their best to focus on Angel killing Giles (something he did while possessed), instead of everything else he did prior to that (and which lead to that), and I get the impression that we're supposed to just take from all this that Angel is so noble for feeling guilty. At the moment I'm not sure which is worse and blander, the characterization of Buffy in her book or Angel in his.

And what about the "social commentary" - first we get a stab at the Kardashians and similar celebrities in A&F with Harmony's issue, now in the latest issue of Buffy we get a stab at Facebook... Bleh, how deep and edgy.

It's been a long time since I've actually loved an issue of either book. Let's hope that things pick up, or that the Spike and Willow minis are better than this.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote