View Single Post
Old August 12 2012, 09:40 PM   #213
Poncho Anderson
Ensign

Re: TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

CommodoreNero wrote: View Post
As someone who is trying to finish his first novel, I will absolutely give credit where credit is due and congratulate the author on finishing his work. That being said, however, I will say this one was not my particular taste. It fell a little flat for me. The Andorians felt like cartoons, the plot was very by the numbers and I didn't care about the aliens. I wanted to know more about their progenitors, because they seemed actually interesting. All in all, not my favorite.
As I said before, I didn't think this was too bad when you compare it to Seize the Fire. I think for those of us who have read quite a few Trek novels, we've become accustomed to seeing great works from the likes of David Mack, Christopher Bennett, Kirsten Beyer, David R. George III and a few others who've contributed to the post-Destiny novels. I'm hard pressed to find something post the Borg devastation that I've outright disliked. Only two novels come to mind that I found subpar at the time (RBoE and Seize the Fire) and after re-reading them, I didn't think they were as bad a I previously thought. They simply didn't measure up to the others novels and if you consider RBoE a part of a quasi-DRGIII trilogy, even that novel turns into something all together different.

Anyway, I gave the novel an above average rating, as I thought it was leaps and bounds better than his previous Titan work and I thoroughly enjoyed what he did with the crew (not so much with the Ta'ithians). Perhaps, if you ever get the chance to come back to the novel later down the road, you'll find a different experience. It's what I did and can appreciate it somewhat more.
Poncho Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote