View Single Post
Old August 12 2012, 09:16 PM   #212
Poncho Anderson
Ensign

Re: TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

starri wrote: View Post
Well, it was on my Kindle this morning, and I had it finished before noon.

It was definitely an improvement on Seize the Fire, but that's really the only positive thing I can say about it. It wasn't a bad book, per se, but compared to the stuff most of the other authors have been putting out, it can't really hold up.

Between this and StF, I wish an editor would encourage Martin not to indulge in starting the story with the aliens. Frankly, if I hadn't forced myself to get through that first chapter to get to the Titan's crew, I could have set it down and not regretted it later. I might be the only one that feels that way, but I think if someone is going to start the story with a more-or-less unfamiliar alien culture instead of the familiar characters, the writing needs to be extraordinarily strong, and this, IMHO, was not.
I'm not sure I agree with this. The author shouldn't be pigeonholed into a form of writing their novel. Once the outline is finished, he/she should be able to write as they please and then the editor works with them to flesh out necessary parts that need it.

Question though for anyone who can answer: How is it possible, with everything the Federation and Starfleet has been through, for Captain Riker to have so many high ranking officers on his ship? I would think that with Commanders Vale, Tuvok, Troi, and Ra-Havreii, the powers that be would send one or two of them to another ship/station to serve. With the Borg devastation, aren't higher ranking officers needed desperately? Having so many in one place just seems like a waste of resources to me, though I may be way off. Looking through the character appendix at the back of the book, Riker even has quite a few lieutenant commanders serving with him. What am I missing?
Poncho Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote