View Single Post
Old August 12 2012, 06:12 PM   #925
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

219. The Invention of Lying: (✩✩✩✩½) - DVD - This is the story about a world where no one ever tells a lie. They always tell it like is, no one is polite and nothing is held back to spare others' feeling. Then one day one man learns to say what isn't (lie) and uses that to his advantage. He's able to do this because lying is a foreign concept, so everyone just believes whatever he says. Stars Ricky Gervais and Jennifer Garner. I wasn't expecting much, but the brutal honesty from the characters really grabbed me and kept my interest. What would actually happen if everyone told the truth all the time, including criminals? It's a fascinating concept to build a world around and the end result here was fun to watch. I recomend this movie. And if you watch it on DVD, there's a short that serves as a prequel. It takes place in the prehistoric era and shows us where our world and the one in this movie diverged. Basically, our world came obout because one caveman introduced a lie and the world in this movie came about because he told the truth. The cavemen are played by the movie's cast.

220. Total Recall: (✩✩✩) - Theatre - I talk more about it here. Basically, it wasn't as good as the original, but it had some good effects, I liked the cast and there were some good homages to the original.

221. Hanna: (✩✩½) - DVD - A girl who was raised by her father in the wilderness to be an assassin, makes her way to the real world where she's hunted by the head of an agency. Stars Saorise Ronan, Eric Bana and Cate Blanchett. The movie is slightly stylized in that it has a lot of quick cuts and some odd music. I don't have enough experience with European film to make a comparisson, but that's what I'm reminded of. The story isn't very engaging, but Ronan does pretty well as an action hero.

222. Tower Heist: (✩✩✩) - DVD - The employees of a New York building lose their retirement savings to a Bernie Madoff-type character who lives there. One of them then takes it upon himself to put together a team to steal $40 million stashed away in the guy's condo. Stars Ben Stiller, Alan Alda, Matthew Broderick, Téa Leoni and Eddie Murphy. It doesn't have the same brand of Ben Stiller humor that I'm used to, but it's still a fun movie and Eddie Murphy looked like he was back on his game after all these years. If you see this on DVD, you'll get to see two parts of a happy ending in the bonus features that weren't in the movie itself. They aren't alternate ending, they're scenes that were left out. Don't know why.

223. Friends with Kids: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - Two platonic friends decide to have a child together. Written by, directed by and stars Jennifer Westfeldt. The supporting cast includes her boyfriend Jon Hamm, Maya Rudolf, Megan Fox and Ed Burns. I enjoyed watching this movie. I thought Ed Burns had something to do with it because it explores life and relationships the way his movies usually do. I also wish they had shown more of the awkwardness of two friends trying to have sex to conceive a child. And I know the movie isn't about pregnancy, but somehow I wish they hadn't glossed over it.

224. Gone: (✩✩✩) - On Demand - A young woman's is kidnapped right from her room and her sister who lives with her takes it upon herself to find the kidnapper while the police try to stop her. Stars Amanda Seyfried. It's an engaging thriller, but I was disappointed with the outcome.

225. Wanderlust: (✩✩✩✩) - On Demand - A couple who couldn't make it in New York decide to head to Atlanta, but along the way, they end up in a hippy commune. Hilarity ensues, and boy does it. Stars Paul Rudd and Jennifer Aniston. This movie didn't disappoint. It was a lot better than I thought it would be. It was funny without being stupid.

226. Brick: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand - A high school kid takes it upon himself to find out who killed his ex girlfriend. Stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt. I thought the story was convoluted but I'm giving it some extra points for its style. The characters are high school kids, but the events play out like something that takes place in the dark and gritty adult world of murder and intrigue. It's a film noir detective story set in high school.

227. The Bourne Legacy: (✩✩✩) - Theatre - Jeremy Renner wasn't bad as an action hero, but the movie itself lacked the frenetic energy of the previous installments. I liked the story though once it got going and I wouldn't mind seeing more of these made.

228. Defendor: (✩✩✩) - Live TV - An emotionally retarded man becomes a vigilante called Defendor and sets out to bring down "Captain Industry". Watch and it'll make more sense. Stars Woody Harrelson, Kat Dennings, Elias Koteas and Sandra Oh. It's a Canadian film shot in Toronto. The concept is a great one and Woody's character is enjoyable to watch, but the story itself could be tedious and for that I'm docking points.

Theatre: 13
DVD/Blu-Ray: 86
Live TV: 90
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 30
Internet: 4
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote