View Single Post
Old August 11 2012, 06:21 PM   #231
Christopher
Writer

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

^Maybe some cops would do that in real life, but then they've compromised what they stand for. That's not what I want to see my fictional heroes do. Being a superhero means holding yourself to an exceptional standard. And there's reason for that. Superheroes have more power than ordinary people, whether it's because they're Kryptonians or mutants or just multigazillionaires with infinite resources and inventive genius. And with great power comes... you know. That level of power combined with a willingness to compromise one's principles is a dangerous combination. So it's more important for superheroes not to compromise their principles, no matter the provocation. (Personally I think it's just as important for cops. They of all people should not be allowed to get away with breaking the law.)

And let me make this perfectly clear: I never said that "I don't have to save you" makes "fine sense." I think it's an atrocious attitude. So you absolutely do not agree with me on that. I was simply saying that the argument can be made that there is technically not an absolute duty of care in that situation. But that doesn't mean I think it's right to refuse to help.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote