View Single Post
Old August 11 2012, 03:42 AM   #205
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Dream wrote: View Post
Kevin Smith is a one hit wonder. He hasn't really done anything great outside of his first movie, Clerks.
Similar arguments could be made with Joss Whedon. It could also be argued that Smith's "Dogma" had a measure of success or notability and he certainly has a good fan following.

And given the... "unusual" restrictions he was under for doing the "Superman: Lives!" script it's not too bad. His Batman comics aren't bad either and certainly introduced a very interesting villain (Onomatopoeia.)

sojourner wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
Wait, what was wrong with the temple explosion sequence in BB?
Step 1: Bruce takes a moral stand by refusing a command to kill a prisoner.

Step 2: To escape that situation, Bruce deliberately throws a hot poker into a munitions dump and causes a series of huge explosions that kill multiple people.

It is, to put it mildly, a mixed message.
Yeah, it's pretty much splitting hairs. "Well, I wasn't trying to kill anyone".
Yeah, Batman's "no killing" rule is... "Oddly" treated in the movies. Especially in "Begins" where he tells Ras "I'm not going to kill you, but I don't have to save you."

Um... Yes, you do, Batman. That's sort-of what a hero who "doesn't kill" does!

In one of the Batman comics Batman actually saved a mortally wounded Joker much to the annoyance of Gordon. Batman didn't cause the wound to the Joker and the Joker's death certainly would make Batman's life easier, Gordon's life a hell of a lot easier and Gotham a degree or two safer. But Batman's moral code wouldn't allow him to not-save someone who needed saving. Even if it was the Joker.

That, for me, is much more interesting and much more "Batman" than, "Well, I'm not going to kill you but I am going to do this random thing which might cause some deaths. That's the same thing, right?" and "Well, I'm not going to kill you but I'm not going to save you from a situation in which you'll die. So my moral conscious is free and clear, we good? Bye!"