View Single Post
Old August 10 2012, 06:47 PM   #121
Rush Limborg
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Our Sacred Honor--A Tale Of Captain Ezri Dax

^Well, I suppose it all depends on the fate of Donatra and the Imperial Romulan State. Perhaps, in an alternate universe...

(Hey--doesn't the STO universe still have the IRS for longer than the Prime TrekLit Universe? Ah, well....)

Anyway--here's the true "deleted" scene, with Admiral Janice Rand (whom, readers of my "Rendezvous With Destiny" may recall, is thought of by Ezri as he "second mother".)

A note: Rand's backstory on Saweore was created by Vonda McIntyre for Enterprise, The First Adventure. The mission concerning Kirk is actually a novel-length story (which I titled Star Trek: Revolution) I'd written some years ago. I've never posted it, because I want to see it in print, some day. Everyone tells me I should not write a Trek novel before Pocket agrees to it, but--hope springs eternal. Also, it was in writing that novel that my skills were honed. Published or not...it was worth doing.

Anyway...

Here's why I cut the scene:

Still, looking over it, I actually like it better, now, than I did, then. I still think it'd have slowed the story down--but as a scene in itself, I actually kind of like it.
"The saying implies but does not name the effective agency of its supposed utopia.... 'Needs and abilities' are, of course, subjective. So the operative statement may be reduced to 'the State shall take, the State shall give'."
--David Mamet
Rush Limborg is offline   Reply With Quote