View Single Post
Old August 9 2012, 11:12 AM   #184
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I'm not sure why people are rolling their eyes at Affleck (here and elsewhere). He has a solid track record as a director. Indeed, at this point, he's already directed as many feature films as Joss Whedon had when he tackled The Avengers. And has at least one Oscar for screenwriting.

And, as Captain Craig pointed out, John Favreau was not an obvious choice for IRON MAN, but . . .
This.

davejames wrote: View Post
Judging by previous interviews I've read with Affleck, there's no chance whatsoever he'll want to do this.

He has no interest in the mainstream, popcorny stuff anymore and prefers making interesting, arty films now.
I think you're only half right. I would say that Gone, Baby Gone and The Town are mainstream but not popcorny. I'd say that they're interesting but not arty. They were both mainstream intelligent thrillers of the type that is increasingly rare in big-budget Hollywood now. They weren't Transformers but neither were they Dogme.

He's made it clear that he has no interest in returning to Daredevil so I suspect that he doesn't have any interest in comic book movies and won't do this. But I think his CV is not unlike that of Chris Nolan before he did Batman (Memento and Insomnia under his belt) or Bryan Singer pre-X-Men (Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil).

And he's great with ensembles whole The Town in particular showed that he can handle an action scene. It looks like they want a director in the vein of Nolan. I'm not entirely persuaded that making a JL movie first, without introducing its characters individually is a good idea. But if they're going to do it, they could opt for a much worse director.