: (✩✩✩) - DVD
- An ex con known as "Driver" is released from prison, immediately finds his car and sets out to avenge his brother's death by killing those involved. Stars Dwayne Johnson. The movie takes place in Southern California, in town and in the desert. It's like a modern western and it's pretty stylish and "badass" eventhough its story isn't the clearest at times. The DVD has an alternate ending. Between the two, I prefer the one that was actually used in the movie. It was a happier one. The alternate looked like it was the springboard for a sequel.
213. This Means War
: (✩✩✩½) - On Demand
- After having seen The Dark Knight Rises
, I wanted to see something else with Tom Hardy and this movie delivered. Two secret agents accidentally meet the same woman and unbeknownst to her, they vie for her affections. That also makes her a two-timer. The movie stars Reese Witherspoon as the woman in question. I don't like her, but I tolerated her because of the movie. What's also fun is that the other guy is played by Chris Pine, making this a Kirk vs Picard movie. So anyway, the movie is cool and a lot of fun.
214. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
: (✩✩✩½) - Live TV
- Game Show host and producer Chuck Barris leads a double life as a CIA hitman. Stars Sam Rockwell and Drew Barrymore. The movie was directed by George Clooney, who also appears in the film as a shady CIA recruiter and he really hams it up in his role. Brad Pitt and Matt Damon also make cameos. The movie dragged a lot in the last two-thirds, but the concept was a good one.
215. Heavenly Creatures
: (✩✩✩½) - DVD
- The true story of two girls who met, became friends and killed one of their mothers. It was a decent viewing, but what really had my attention was seeing Kate Winslet and Melanie Lynskey in their movie debuts. Melanie Lynskey is best known for her role on Two and a Half Men
as Charlie's psycho ex. The movie was also directed by Peter Jackson and was released in 1994. I miss the 90s, so there's a bit of nostalgia for me there too.
216. Knight and Day
: (✩✩✩) - DVD
- Tom Cruise stars as a secret agent who meets and drags a woman (Cameron Diaz) on his little adventure. Tom Cruise's secret agent antics are over the top and really funny. He also shows off a lot with some of the stunts and that comes through pretty clearly. It's his ego at work, no doubt. By the way, the title doesn't make any sense, so don't expect it to be a play on anything.
217. Gettin' It
: (✩✩½) - DVD
- A college-aged guy wants to have sex with his girlfriend, but she won't give in. He then ends up having a lot of hot sex with an attractive 30-something woman. This is a bad movie, but I gave it a few points for having the guts to have the protagonist actually follow through with a hot steamy affair.
218. The Hoax
: (✩✩✩✩) - DVD
- A writer, don't remember his name, can't get his work published, so he claims to be in contact with recluse billionaire Howard Hughes and sets out to write his fake autobiography. Now he's got the attention he wants, but how long can he sustain his lie, and what will happen when Hughes gets wind of what's going on and really gets involved? Stars Richard Gere and it's a very engaging film.
Live TV: 89
Recorded TV: 5
On Demand: 26