View Single Post
Old August 7 2012, 11:39 PM   #78
commanderkai
Lieutenant

Re: The Maquis or the Federation?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Well, there's the rub. The concept of the Maquis had its genesis in a TNG episode (Journey's End). And yes, in that episode, the colonists themselves brought up the idea of living in the DMZ under Cardassian rule. It was their own idea. They wanted it. They did not want to move. So the Federation didn't make them move (though they had the right to).
Wasn't "Journey's End" a highlight that the Federation was perfectly willing to forcibly relocate the colonists against their will, which only then the colonists decided to take the risk? Sure, it was their own idea, in the sense they're picking, in their opinion, the choice between forcible relocation and seeing their colonies being handed away without any Federation discussions with the colonists.

More importantly, if Sisko's numerous colonists about those in the DMZ still being "Federation Citizens", why did the Federation not step in and protect the interests of their citizens once evidence of Cardassian violation of the treaty came to light?

And I'd just like to repeat that the mere fact that the colonists DID choose to live there, knowing they'd be ruled by Cardassia, is of course not intended by me to be a justification as to what the Cardassians later did. But as I said, the initial negotiations - again, in the TNG episode in question - appeared to be quite reasonable. There is absolutely no indication that *those* Cardassians, led by Gul Evek, would ever turn around and do something like arm their colonists to provoke a shooting match. I find it very likely that Evek would never have authorized this, and would in fact be disgusted by it.
This is the same Cardassian government, no matter who was negotiating. They were still a fascist dictatorship, whose history of treating non-Cardassian worlds is not exactly something to be praised *coughBAJORcough*. Even so, you would be correct that the Maquis would not be justified if the Cardassians did abide by the treaty.

The whole Maquis issue didn't arise up until the Cardassian government violated the treaty, armed their colonists, and attacked Federation citizens. Gul Evek might, or might have not had a say in the matter, but it does not matter either way. It was a treaty between Cardassia and the Federation, not between the Federation and Gul Evek. Once the Federation did not punish Cardassia for violating the treaty, the treaty was worth nothing, and they sacrificed entire colonies worth of their citizens for a peace of paper.
commanderkai is offline   Reply With Quote