View Single Post
Old August 7 2012, 05:03 AM   #844
Agent Richard07
Retired

Re: "The Dark Knight Rises" Review and Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Lord Garth wrote: View Post
My father, who never read a Batman comic in his life, also didn't like the movie. He didn't like that Batman kept getting beat up and he said we should watch movies to get away from the problems of in the real world.
With that line of thinking, we'd never get good superhero stories, just more formulaic stuff, and that gets old after a while.
In his defense, he's 61. He grew up expecting different things from superhero movies. He wanted to see the movie with my brother and I, which surprised me. I think he just wanted to do something as a family (as I said, my mother is deceased, so his wanting to spend time with us carries more weight than it would've if she were still alive) and he knew we'd both be going to see it. I remember he liked Batman Begins. He personally didn't remember what was the last Batman movie he saw. I know for a fact that he saw part of The Dark Knight four years ago but I couldn't gauge his opinion. I only posted what he thought to show what one casual movie-goer who's not a fan thought.

My point was you don't have to be a fan of the comic to not like the film. Not everything is "Fanboy this! Fanboy that!" despite what people who want to dismiss any criticism might think.
Got it. It's always good to hear what a non-fan or a casual fan thinks. That line I quoted just caught my attention because a lot of people feel that way and I'm usually of the opinion that superhero movies can and should be more serious if need be. If anything it's a break from the norm. In thinking about this movie over the last few weeks, I agree that it would have been nice for Batman to not have dropped the ball on his crimefighting, but at the same time, it was great to see his troubles play out and his days come to an end. I didn't think I'd ever see that in a live-action movie.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote