Old August 6 2012, 08:10 PM   #1391
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
The argument about creativity baffles me. If you use somebody else's idea, it's less creative than using your own idea. That's pretty straightforward.
I'm sorry, but you're obviously not a creator, or you'd understand how completely and utterly wrong you are here. You do know that Greg and I, the ones telling you that your assumptions about creativity are in error, are professional writers, don't you?
Yes, I do. I am, too.
As am I and, I think, I'm a legitimate writer as I've been paid for my work, both fiction and non-fiction, with my fiction works appearing in genre magazines both online and in print and in literary magazines and my non-fiction consists of reporting, op-eds, and feature articles. I try not to bring this up too often because it comes across as pretty egotistical since my work doesn't have anything to do with the shows and movies mentioned here. However, since it's been mentioned here as if it's a prerequisite to stepping into this discussion I'm bringing it up.

The idea that tie in books are lesser than others is simply no true. For one, people who write tie in books tend to be very passionate about the world they're writing in as opposed to, say, James Patterson or Vince Flynn who is writing for a paycheck and a paycheck only (although Flynn also writes to convince that we should torture people). In many cases this results in situations where tie in novels are better.

Further, there are a number of difficulties when it comes to tie in novels. For one, they limit what the author can do; Greg Cox can't kill off established characters unless he gets permission to. If you're writing your own thing then you can do whatever you want.

Now I'm not saying all tie in fiction is great. Much of it is bad but much of fiction that's published is bad. There are so many differences between regular novels and tie in novels that it's not fair to judge one against the other.

For what it's worth the only tie in fiction I read is Doctor Who and those novels tend to be much, much more creative than "mainstream" sci-fi novels.