View Single Post
Old August 6 2012, 02:08 AM   #55
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: The Maquis or the Federation?

Mage wrote: View Post
I believe that if you want to come across as a government in which all parties are taken into consideration, you can't just give away territory for the greater good.
You not only can, you MUST. There must always be a balance between the greater good and the lesser. The needs of the many will always outweigh the needs of the few (or the one).

Given that there are vast amounts of territory still available in the Federation, and that relocating the colonists to such territory is easy, then I can totally see why the Federation might choose to sign a treaty like this. The choices are these:

1) Do nothing, which will ensure war with Cardassia, in which millions will be killed.
2) Relocate a few hundred colonists.

Now tell me, which is the better option of those two?

That way, you are in essence betraying the principales in which that government was based.
The Federation is indeed attempting to provide a better life to its citizens, core worlds and colonies alike. By signing the treaty, war is averted. I'd call that a better life.

The Federation believes that EVERYONE has a right to live a happy life. By forcing people to move out of their homes, you are not letting them live the life they want.
You can't always get what you want.

The colonists were given a choice, move or life under Cardassian rule. They were never asked if they were oke with the Federation giving their homes away.
Actually, the colonists themselves brought up the idea of living under Cardassian control.