View Single Post
Old August 5 2012, 12:51 PM   #179
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Re: TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Sci wrote: View Post
Meanwhile, I've noticed two serious continuity errors in Fallen Gods:

1. The Andorian capital is consistently referred to as Laibok, but Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony established that the current Andorian capital city is Lor'Vela, with the former capital having been destroyed by the Borg in Destiny: Lost Souls.

2. There are several references to the "Council of the Clans" as (seeming) Andor's ruling body, yet the novels Andor: Paradigm by Heather Jarman and Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony established very clearly that the Andorian legislature is called the Parliament Andoria, with the formal head of state being the Empty Throne and the head of government being the Presider.
Indeed. Those bothered me too. So...it's Justification Time!

For the latter, I assume that either the Council of Clans is another (more casual?) name for the Parliament Andoria, preferred by those elements of Andorian society whose sense of identity remains rooted in the traditional clan system, or else it's an authority distinct from the Parliament that deals with small-scale legal and political matters; regional disputes and the like. Given how insanely complicated the relationships between clans must be now that marriage and breeding are decided by genetics, and given how seriously Andorians take family identity, perhaps the day-to-day decisions that keep Andor from falling into a thousand and one blood feuds are made by the Council, leaving Parliament to focus on the big global issues (as well as coordinate federation matters?). Perhaps too the Council of Clans oversees the reproductive and familial issues directly, which might explain why Zhrar is focused on them as opposed to the Parliament? The DS9 Relaunch has mentioned the Eveste Elders as the body to which rulings in matters of bonding are sought, so perhaps the Council of Clans is led by these elders. If that's the case, perhaps to some Andorians the Council of Clans is the "real" authority to which they pay most attention, just like some Bajorans are more invested in the Vedek Assembly than the Chamber of Ministers? Zhrar is the sort of Andorian who would certainly put more stock in clan bonds and traditional Andorian self-rule than in the Parliament, even if the Parliament is now controlled by reactionary isolationists.

The first error - the capital - can't really be explained away, sadly. I just read "Lor'vela" each time he says "Laibok".