View Single Post
Old August 5 2012, 06:14 AM   #36
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: The Maquis or the Federation?

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Sisko's actions weren't on the same level as Eddington's.

Eddington, by the very action of initiating the use of bioweapons, demonstrated his belief in his own ego (and possibly the genocide of the Cardassian race). Eddington would have been quite happy to kill every Cardassian in the DMZ, whether or not they were involved in any actions against the Maquis colonies.

Sisko, OTOH, simply leveled the playing field. By deploying the same weapons against the Maquis, Sisko merely ensured that the two sides - Cardassian and Maquis - would have to exchange colony sites. Nothing more than that. By his own actions Sisko stopped any further genocide, by ensuring that the Maquis would have to give up no more, and no less, than what the Cardassians would have suffered at Eddington's hand.

Side note: If Eddington had lived to see what happened to Cardassia itself at the end of the Dominion War, I wonder what he'd think. He'd probably be laughing his ass off.

Oh well...whether it be a personal comparison (Sisko vs. Eddington), or Federation vs. Maquis, the basic theme is the same. Order (Federation) vs. Chaos (Maquis). The same process repeats on multiple levels.
Well you should be all for the Dominion if you think "order" is the only justifiable force in the world. I mean they slaughtered those 800 million Cardassians in the name of order after all. The Cardassians would have said they subjugated Bajor and screwed around with those Maquis worlds in the name of order after all.

Really though, both Sisko and Eddington have a lot of blood on their hands. Unless you really think that on planets with thousands, if not millions of people, everyone has a spaceship they can hop onto with a few minutes notice even assuming you can get in touch with everyone. That's cheap saying Eddington's a villain for doing it but when Sisko does it, it's just "evening the playing field." The method of poisoning entire planets should be morally condemnable no matter the reasons.

As for his reaction to the Cardassian masscre? That's hard. I don't think he'd be laughing his ass off, he was an antagonist sure, but he was no Gul Dukat or any other traditional Trek Villain. Assuming he surived in a Federation prison(or who knows, they might have given back his commision with all the manpower shortages during the war), in my opinion, he'd be spiteful at first, even calling it poetic justice(just like Martok) until the enormity of the statistic set in for him.