View Single Post
Old August 4 2012, 10:45 PM   #22
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile
Re: The Maquis or the Federation?

starburst wrote: View Post
But would you want to give up your home, I mean some of us might be willing to even if begrudgingly, but some who have spent years building a life on those colonies would be far less likely to want to up sticks and move (and going back to my analogy they had every reason to, the Cardassians are hardly Canadian or Mexican!)
I do love my home, but if I was presented with a good enough reason for moving, I'd take it. I certainly wouldn't become a terrorist against the government. In the end, a home is four walls and a ceiling surrounding all your stuff. Certainly not worth armed rebellion.

IRL, if the government takes my home via eminent domain, they must compensate me by paying me the fair market value of my home (I *think* they have to help me find a new home as well, though I'm not sure about that). I'd consider that a fair trade.

And I'd just like to repeat that it was the colonists' IDEA to live under Cardassian rule in the first place (true, "Journey's End" did not specifically mention the Maquis, but it's obvious they were leading up to that). That doesn't justify what the Cardassian colonists later did, but it does put paid to the notion that the Federation handed the colonists over to the Cardies against their will.

When this arrangement was initially worked out, Picard was faced with a Cardassian crew (led by Gul Evek) who appeared to be quite reasonable. Picard, and by extension the Federation as a whole, had little reason to imagine what was about to happen. Who knows, Evek himself may have been horrified by those subsequent developments (Evek seemed like a fairly decent sort).

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; August 4 2012 at 10:56 PM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote