View Single Post
Old August 4 2012, 09:00 PM   #172
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Re: TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Edit_XYZ, that's a really good point, actually, about Trek being a fictional universe and the examples we're given being the only ones. But I guess I was thinking in terms of how the next author would take the storyline. I see no reason why the next author would be constrained by events so far to write a plotline about Tholians mind-controlling helpless Andorians into seceding, being terrorists, and being idiots, in the three books under discussion respectively.
The scenes establishing tholian mind control and starfleet knowing it have no connection to the rest of the book.
They were obviously introduced as part of the ongoing meta andorian plot line - a result of editor/authors planning it.

It seems the decision at the moment is to run with the mind control theme.
I guess this could change, though - all it takes is the editor thinking yesterday's good idea is today's bad idea.

Thrawn wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post
One thing that doesn't make any sense here is the mind control. If the mind control was what caused the Andorians to lave the Federation, then why isn't the Federation working to do away with the mind control so that the Andorians can take a new vote as to being part of the Federation? Besides, if the Tholians can control the minds of the Andorians, why haven't they done this to other races and a lot sooner then now?
Again, as terrible as this storyline was, I didn't see anything in this novel that indicated this was the case. I'm confused where this entire idea is coming from.
Read a few posts back:
"Hm, I see where you're coming from, but if that's where this storyline goes I'll be pretty pissed."

JWolf wrote: View Post
One thing that doesn't make any sense here is the mind control. If the mind control was what caused the Andorians to lave the Federation, then why isn't the Federation working to do away with the mind control so that the Andorians can take a new vote as to being part of the Federation? Besides, if the Tholians can control the minds of the Andorians, why haven't they done this to other races and a lot sooner then now?
Minor, easily fixable plot holes at best:
Working at something and succeeding at something are 2 very different things;
The tholians are barely perfecting their andorian puppet tech; a far cry from being able to control other, perhaps less susceptible, species.