View Single Post
Old August 4 2012, 07:54 PM   #193
YellowSubmarine
Rear Admiral

Re: SpaceX is a go for April 30th: 1st commercial launch to space stat

Hey, I didn't come to this forum the last few days, and now I'm surprised to find that this hasn't been posted.

NASA just accepted SpaceX, Boeing and Sierra Nevada on the next phase of their commercial crew program.

http://www.nasa.gov/exploration/comm...ouncement.html

The short version is that SpaceX just got 440 million bucks. This is around the same amount of money they cite as the development cost of Falcon 9, and the development cost of the Dragon capsule.

But they practically have a human-capable Dragon already. Even the SuperDraco thrusters are nearly done, and if I understand correctly the development of those was paid in the previous phase (correct me if I'm wrong), so the only thing missing are some nice cushions!

Since I'm not their accountant, I can't say if they just got an extra 400 million they can spare. And I don't think you can discount that they have seats to install, not to mention control equipment that Musk is already bragging about, and from the sound of it, it would somewhat resemble the front panel of the Tesla cars. But if they can put some of those money into the development of something extra, I'm truly looking forward to it.

Hopefully now they'd have a better chance to finish the reusability which isn't getting any specially alloted money.