View Single Post
Old August 4 2012, 06:44 PM   #111
kirk55555
Commodore

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

I got Farscape yesterday. I've watched the first two episodes so far. I think I'll use this thread to post about my experiences with both shows. first, I'll compare the first episodes of B5 and farscape.

Farscape ("Premiere") - This had an interesting beginning. I'm not sure if slingshoting around the earth would actually make something go so fast, but its a sci-fi show, so you accept stuff like that. The show's theme song is a bit annoying, but that doesn't matter. I like Crichton. He has some funny lines (little yellow balls of light ) and he seems like an interesting character. The puppets took a little getting used to, but I like them. The effects are pretty good. Not mind blowing, but enjoyable (not that effects are super important to me, but its always nice for them to be good). The main ship looks cool, and I like the concept of a living ship. The Peacekeepers seem a little bland as an evil empire, and the revenge plot with the leader isn't anything new, but they play their role well. I like the characters. I'm interested to see how they develop and learn more about them. I enjoyed this episode.

Babylon 5 ("Midnight on the Firing Line") - I've mentioned what I thought of this before, so I'll just add a little bit. The effects/sets are not great, even compared to other shows of the time period it was on, but as long as the story is good bad effects can be ignored, and the story was interesting. I didn't see The Gathering, but I don't think I missed much. I wasn't confused during the episode. I may not know some of the back story, but I'm sure I'll be informed as the series goes on. The characters were interesting, and I liked the tone of the show, serious and, it seemed to me, somewhat dramatic, which seemed to fit it. I'm interested in seeing what comes next.

I liked both episodes, but so far I think I have to give the edge to Farscape. It just seems like a fun show.

I also watched the second Farscape episode, (I, E.T.). It was pretty good. I liked the concept, and I liked that we get more time with the characters and get some character development. Even the child actor wasn't horrible, and traditionally I dislike episodes of TV series that have a focus on child actors (not that he was really a focus, but he didn't annoy me). A solid episode.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote