View Single Post
Old August 4 2012, 04:35 PM   #147
Fleet Captain
Re: TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Sci wrote: View Post
Senjus wrote: View Post
Maybe it's all set up for later books but is seems kid of sloppy to me
It's very obviously setup for later books.

Meanwhile, even though I don't think Martin is very good at characterization, I'm glad he had the decency not to have Andor join the Typhon Pact.
So - it seems the current andorian development will be excused by them being under heavy tholian mind-control.

Better than what was painted so far in the books - which was the andorians having a moral inversion 'just because'. Unfortunately, this 'better' is not saying much:

I liked the andorian development in star trek: Enterprise.
But their showing in the 'typhon pact' line is them being either moustache-twisting villains or people with such a coherence/logic in thought that they developing interstellar travel makes the pakled similar achievement credible - and now, them being mere puppets, controlled by their betters.

And there's also the fact that mind control for shock value - and for eventual redemption/reset - is heavily used as a troupe in SF - and, as such, not engrossing.
The DS9 relaunch itself used the exact same troupe (with the "difference" of having the applied phlebotinum be parasites as opposed to tholian technology).
"Let truth and falsehood grapple ... Truth is strong" - John Milton

Last edited by Edit_XYZ; August 4 2012 at 04:52 PM.
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote