View Single Post
Old August 4 2012, 12:01 AM   #109
DWF
Vice Admiral

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
^^^Correct. I value coherent plots and themes a lot, but the first time around the very original visuals and music and the Crichtonisms, and most of all, the shameless gusto in the series still made it an enthralling experience. I was shocked at how unwatchable I found it the second time. I didn't expect that at all. If you read the last coded plot point recapped, you'll see what I mean by plotting problems. But that sort of thing sure makes a strong first impression. It's just when you start to think about it...
Honestly, I find this surprising. Farscape is a show I re-watch at least once a year. I've probably seen it at least a dozen times all the way through, and it never gets old. Most of the plots actually make more sense than you realize. The first half of Season 4 is full of tiny moments and explanations that I missed the first time around, and it's one of the reasons that it went from being my least favorite season when I first watched it to my favorite season of the entire show.
I've found it nigh impossible to rewatch Farscape, but then it's hard for me to finish rewatching B5 as well. For that matter for me aynway, it's hard to rewatch many of the '90s shows that I used to watch. On the other hand though I have little problem rewatching classic Doctor Who.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote