View Single Post
Old August 3 2012, 07:28 PM   #1374
Christopher
Writer

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Kegg wrote: View Post
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
But how do you know that's the sole or even primary motive,
I know it's a fundamental difference between remakes and mythic traditions. I did not claim it was the only motive behind all remakes, but oral traditions were part of a shared narrative that did not involve ligitous corporations enforcing their legal right to profit from repeated iterations of the same product, and acting that because they both retold the same story they're basically the same kind of thing just isn't being accurate.
First off, what makes you think that ancient bards had no commercial motives? As with writers today, telling stories was how they made a living. Whether they got food and lodging could depend on whether the townspeople enjoyed their stories. Whether they got support from a wealthy patron could depend on pleasing that patron's tastes. Hell, Shakespeare often had to write plays based on what the queen or king demanded; he had to falsify history and make Macbeth into a bad guy because the monarch at the time was descended from Banquo or somebody and telling the truth would've been lese majeste. So it's naive to think that writers in the past were any more free from financial obligations and the need to satisfy their backers than writers today. I'm sure that countless bards and playwrights over the millennia have had to retell the favorite local legends and find ways to put their own twist on it. And that twist, that novel approach to a familiar idea, was where the creativity came into play.

And second, as Greg and I -- who are both professional writers, by the way, and are thus pretty qualified to know -- have already said, it's ludicrous to think that having financial obligations somehow eradicates any trace of legitimate creative motivations. That's a utopian fantasy that has nothing to do with the actual work of writing. It's always about trying to balance both creative considerations and practical necessities. Creativity has to happen in the same real world everyone lives in. That doesn't make it any less creative.

You want to say there's good remakes/reboots? I'd agree with you. I loved Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica. But I'm not going to say that Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica is basically the same kind of thing as Virgil's Aeneid.
But it is. The details and context change, but it will always, always be valid to create a new variation of an existing work.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote