View Single Post
Old August 3 2012, 03:44 PM   #353
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Mutai Sho-Rin wrote: View Post
Regardless of your impressions of the ego or nationalism involved, you must remember that this was an American TV show targeting an American audience. I seriously doubt that GR or anyone else involved ever dreamed the show would have such far reaching success. It is only reasonable that they would address the history and culture of the USA in their stories.
Well, that doesn't quite fit in with Gene's "enlightened humanity" vision that he kept insisting on. This is after all the guy who helped pen "Hide and Q", an episode which featured this great Picard moment.

Picard: And what he might say with irony I say with conviction. "What a piece of work is man! How noble in reason! How infinite in faculty. In form, in moving, how express and admirable. In action, how like an angel. In apprehension, how like a god..." I see us one day becoming that, Q."

later.....

Riker: I could have saved that girl.
Picard: You were right not to try.

And what were the consequences that would have happened if Riker had brought that girl to life? I don't know. Maybe a slight gratification and sense of happiness that he helped a little girl live? There wasn't any "The girl or your crew!" situation going on where there were things at stake. Just some grumpy old man telling him that power corrupts and doing things easily is a sin!
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote