View Single Post
Old August 3 2012, 01:05 PM   #1370
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
But how do you explain the constant remakes of, say, Dracula or The Three Musketeers or Robin Hood or King Arthur or Snow White.
Those are mostly re-adaptations. I don't think anyone is going to assume JMS's upcoming Vlad Dracula series referred to here is a remake of Francis Ford Coppola's Bram Stoker's Dracula, or in any sense legally related to such.

This said?

They're all public domain, but writers and directors and filmmakers keep wanting to reinvent them, over and over again
The same level of name recognition, the value of a property as property, continues to be important. I remember when I was a kid there'd be cheap knockoff cartoons based on whatever subject the latest Disney film was covering (Pocahontas, Hercules, etc.), and then there's recent franchise films like Snow White & the Huntsman, which slot in rather nicely around the summer's array of blockbuster novel/comic adaptations.