View Single Post
Old August 2 2012, 10:27 PM   #326
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
As for the reason for the interlaced footage in "Code of Honor"; I'm not sure if I get why they did that. Is it an error in the original film material, something that happened during the scanning of the negatives or did someone screw up the mastering for the blu-ray disc itself? (BTW, I noticed another of these "interlace" errors in "Heart of Glory" at the end of the scene where Picard first speaks with the commander of the Klingon ship.)
I don't think it's interlaced (they're not working with interlaced content -- everything should be 1080p, 23.976 fps)... it just has half the vertical resolution it's supposed to have (540p). It was either imported incorrectly into their editing program or had some weird effect applied to it that caused it to be rendered out with half the vertical resolution.

It's possible it happened during the scan, but that seems unlikely. But it's definitely a question Ex Astris Scientia should ask Mike Okuda, because we don't want to see this happen too often. I was hoping the shot in "Code of Honor" was the only instance.