View Single Post
Old August 2 2012, 07:50 PM   #218
EliyahuQeoni
Commodore

Location: Redmond, Oregon, United States of America, North America, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way, Universe
View EliyahuQeoni's Twitter Profile
Re: The operational status of NCC 1701-A...?

AggieJohn wrote: View Post
EliyahuQeoni wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I saw it a bit differently. With the earlier orders by Starfleet for the Enterprise-A to immediately return to spacedock for decommissioning, Kirk's statements in his final log entry (for me) was in reference to the Enterprise-B and her crew continuing the Enterprise legacy. It could very well be that the Enterprise-B was in the final three months of her construction at the time of Star Trek VI.
See, that's what always confused me about that last scene. On the one hand we have the fairly clear order from Starfleet Command ordering the Enterprise to spacedock to be decomissioned. Yet, in his last log entry, Kirk says "This ship and her history will shortly become the care of another crew." Which seems clear that he is talking about another crew on the 1701-A. If he'd just said "This ship's history will become the care of another crew..." I could understand, but the two statements in the same scene seem at odds with each other. I'd really like to know what TPTB were thinking with that...
Yeah but wasn't that a symbolic gesture meaning the "enterprise" not necessarily that that enterprise. I mean he also say "no one" has gone before. I saw it as a link to TNG.
Uxi wrote: View Post
It was meant as symbolic handoff to TNG as that was supposed to be the last TOS movie.
Oh I know that, but in story it makes very little sense. Kirk says very specifically "This ship" will be handed over to a new crew.
"Canon is only important to certain people because they have to cling to their knowledge of the minutiae. Open your mind! Be a Star Trek fan and open your mind and say, 'Where does Star Trek want to take me now'." - Leonard Nimoy
EliyahuQeoni is offline   Reply With Quote