View Single Post
Old August 2 2012, 02:50 PM   #216
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The operational status of NCC 1701-A...?

I don't want to derail this thread completely... but...

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
I have no doubt that Federation/Klingon peace wasn't driven by a single event. They're simply too different culturally, so peace was likely achieved in pieces over a long period of time.
It's a plausable excuse, but it cheapens the importance of both STVI and YE's stories. Most likely the writers simply didn't do their research.
Or they realized that peace seldom comes in one grand swoop. It is usually the result of years upon years of painstaking work.
How were McCoy and Uhura incompetent?
Didn't know Klingon anatomy, didn't know Klingon language. Compare with the McCoy and Uhura of the pre-STVI novels or STXI's Uhura.
This isn't a comic book and the crew are not super-heroes. McCoy could spend every waking moment studying anatomy of species from across the galaxy and barely scratch the surface of available knowledge. Same goes for Uhura with languages.

The Star Trek 2009 script required Uhura to know Romulan, so she did. The Undiscovered Country script required Uhura to not know Klingon, so she didn't. And Uhura not knowing Klingon violates nothing that came before it, same with Bones not knowing Klingon anatomy. But the whole point is that the series nor movies had ever shown Uhura to be a language whiz to begin with.

Having deep seated feelings of anger towards a group responsible for the brutal death of your son? Astonishing! Since the Klingons never renounced Kruge's actions in regards to Genesis, it would be easy for a person to be angry at a group based on those actions.
He bore no animosity toward Maltz at the end of STIII and drank with the Klingons in STV. That's the Kirk I know (see also: "Day of the Dove"), not Mister "Let them die!"
Kirk was probably in shock at the end of The Search for Spock, he just lost his ship and his son. So using those actions as a barometer on his feelings towards Klingons is meaningless. In The Final Frontier, he isn't exactly buddying around with the Klingons. Looking at the transcript, Kirk doesn't utter a word to the Klingons.

Spock the mind-rapist? Valeris was part of a cabal that was working to set off a war that could kill millions. The needs of the many...
Another way should have been found, one that didn't ruin Spock's character. And that the entire crew just sat and watched...
I don't see taking an action that could save millions of innocent people on both sides of the border as ruining the character. But your mileage may vary.

EDIT: Thinking about it, Spock from the new timeline does the very same thing to Gary Mitchell in the first story from the ongoing comic.