View Single Post
Old August 2 2012, 02:48 AM   #57
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: Is the Federation a True Democracy? And How Did It Reach That Poin

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
Harry Groener played "Minister" Nathan Samuels in Enterprise, a representative of the Earth government ...
A ministers could also be a diplomat. A minister is someone below the level of ambassador, but still with plenipotentiary powers to represent the government. I believe the title has fallen out of use in the last few decades, but in a century and a half could be back in full force.

Diplomatic ministers are not the same thing as government ministers, and don't solely come from parliamentary based governments.

Nathan Samuels was presiding over the discussions in San Francisco between delegates from several planets about membership within the future Coalition of Planets. Samuals' activities would seem to be more in line with a diplomat, rather than a elected government official.

R. Star wrote: View Post
If that means making them part of Maryland/Virginia respectively then I don't see the big deal. I am against them getting full benefits of statehood ...
The two states of Maryland and Virginia donated land to form the federal district, Congress returned a third of Washington DC to Virginia in September of 1846 (and six month later Virginia accepted it).

This is called retrocession.

Simply continuing the process with much of the rest of Washington DC would solve many problems, keep some kind of (much) smaller federal reservation for strictly federal government buildings. Residential areas would definitely go into Maryland.

Last edited by T'Girl; August 2 2012 at 03:26 AM.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote