View Single Post
Old August 1 2012, 10:07 PM   #307
zephramc
Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Just watched The Battle, and that's another one that's better than I remembered. Although as in other first season episodes, the crew seems awfully slow to figure things out. Picard spends the whole episode nearly dying from severe headaches (which apparently no one gets anymore), and yet it takes them forever to make a connection to the Ferengi.

And it's a shame they spend the whole episode building up to Picard attacking the Enterprise with the Stargazer, yet don't have any actual battle. Basically just a standoff, and then the "Picard Maneuver" (which doesn't really amount to much).
I enjoyed "The Battle" as well. I agree with your assessment of the battle, or lack thereof.

Some geeky nitpicks... How was it that the Enterprise was able to lock a tractor beam on the Stargazer while its (the Stargazer's) shields were up? Why not simply tractor the vessel while it was sitting motionless for those few seconds before it employed the Picard Maneuver?

Was Bok's plan to force Enterprise to destroy Stargazer and kill Picard in the process? Also, was the Enterprise in any real danger? We've seen the Big-E take it's share of punches from other ships (Romulan, Cardassian, Tamarian, Husnok, Borg, etc...) presumably with more firepower than what the Stargazer could muster. Seems to me, worst-case scenario, Riker could have let Picard take a few shots at the Enterprise, then disable Stargazers weapons and shields and beam Picard back. I suppose there's a risk that Picard may have been killed, but the Enterprise disabled other ships successfully in other episodes without loss of life.
zephramc is offline   Reply With Quote