Thread: Rape Jokes
View Single Post
Old August 1 2012, 06:38 PM   #51
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Re: Rape Jokes

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^A nice theory, but I don't suspect it'd work well in practice. 1 in 4 American women have been sexually assaulted. If you're a comedian in a 50 seater room, of which half the audience are women, statistically you could expect at least 5 or 6 of your audience members to have been sexually assaulted in the past (and that's not including the men). So how exactly does one operate by a know your audience rule?

Anyway, I don't think Tosh is being ripped apart for making rape jokes. He's being ripped apart because after being heckled about his rape jokes he made a shitty comment about the heckler which he tried to pass off as a rape joke. Sorry, but saying that it'd be funny if a woman were gang raped in the club then and there just isn't funny. Again, I'd suggest reading this article, How To Make a Rape Joke. The author explains the issues very well.
By the same token, how many people in your audience might be Black or christian, homosexual or know someone who committed suicide, be of differing political views etc. you gotta take a risk, and over time people going to your show are going to know what to expect. if someone stumbles in and gets offended, oh well. They can cool themselves off with a drink and get over it. Life goes on.

I agree on Tosh. I'm not a fan and what he did was stupid. Like with any incident though, the debate has became about all humor of this type in general when it should have stopped with "He's an asshole, move along..."
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote