Thread: TIL...
View Single Post
Old July 31 2012, 11:37 PM   #108
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Re: TIL...

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Isn't it just obnoxious how even the fucking temperature affects it? Although I have to say the best fun is when my liver decides to pump out glucose for no reason giving me a nice spike to 550. I only have a vague sense of the conversion, but I'm thinking a 2.6 is around 40 and a 550 is around 16. Also, I wonder why you guys don't measure it like we do -- mg/dl is more exact than mmol/l.
From Wiki:
The international standard way of measuring blood glucose levels is in terms of a molar concentration, measured in mmol/L (millimoles per litre; or millimolar, abbreviated mM). In the United States, mass concentration is measured in mg/dL (milligrams per decilitre).
Since the molecular weight of glucose C6H12O6 is about 180 g/mol, for the measurement of glucose, the difference between the two scales is a factor of 18, so that 1 mmol/L of glucose is equivalent to 18 mg/dL.
I never even knew there was a way of measuring blood glucose other than milligrams per deciliter. That's us provincial Yanks for you.