View Single Post
Old July 31 2012, 08:24 PM   #70
Use of Time
Commodore

Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
To summarize, are white Christians bland? No. Is a ship full of them on a T.V. show bland? IMO Yes
Exactly. The problem wouldn't be the whiteness, it would be the uniformity. And lack of diversity.

Perhaps "monotonous" would be a better word than "bland."

You know, a while back, I was watching an old SF movie that was made about the same time as TOS. Ohmigod, it was like watching "Mad Men" in space. The heroes were all squared-jawed white guys, the women were all secretaries and nurses (who cowered in fear whenever there was danger), and there was nary a non-white face to be seen, even though the movie was set in a distant future of interstellar travel.

To modern eyes, the whole thing looked ridiculously dated, which reminded me just how smart (and ahead of the curve) STAR TREK had been to make sure that the crew of the Enterprise was conspicuously diverse.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to turn back the clock and go back to the bad old days when only white guys went to space . . . especially right after the passing of Sally Ride.

And, just to get the topic back on track, exotic aliens just add to the variety, not to mention making the future world of Star Trek feel more science-fictiony.
Yes, you are watching this standard sci-fi movie and then you turn to CBS and you see a black communications officer, an Asian helmsman, a Russian navigator, etc. Star Trek was bold and daring in its time. It's what made the show great.

P.S. Pardon the segue as I am somewhat new. If you happen to be the Greg Cox that wrote the Eugenics Wars novels than let me just say that my wife will not be happy with you as I read both books in one weekend last month. Couldn't put them down. Fantastic blending of historical events with the distinctive Star Trek feel. Great Job!