View Single Post
Old July 31 2012, 08:13 PM   #69
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: If annother Trek series was being made, what would you want in it?

Use of Time wrote: View Post
To summarize, are white Christians bland? No. Is a ship full of them on a T.V. show bland? IMO Yes
Exactly. The problem wouldn't be the whiteness, it would be the uniformity. And lack of diversity.

Perhaps "monotonous" would be a better word than "bland."

You know, a while back, I was watching an old SF movie that was made about the same time as TOS. Ohmigod, it was like watching "Mad Men" in space. The heroes were all square-jawed white American guys, the women were all secretaries and nurses (who cowered in fear whenever there was danger), and there was nary a non-white face to be seen, even though the movie was set in a distant future of interstellar travel.

To modern eyes, the whole thing looked ridiculously dated, which reminded me just how smart (and ahead of the curve) STAR TREK had been to make sure that the crew of the Enterprise was conspicuously diverse.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to turn back the clock and go back to the bad old days when only white guys went to space . . . especially right after the passing of Sally Ride.

And, just to get the topic back on track, exotic aliens just add to the variety, not to mention making the future world of Star Trek feel more science-fictiony.

Last edited by Greg Cox; July 31 2012 at 08:59 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote