View Single Post
Old July 31 2012, 04:39 AM   #136
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl
Re: General Music Thread

zakkrusz wrote: View Post
Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
These, plus a whole lot more in the Symphonic Metal genre are in my CD collection.

After Forever
Amberian Dawn
Apocalyptica
Delain

Edenbridge
Epica
Leaves' Eyes
Lunatica
Sirenia
Tristania
Visions Of Atlantis
Xandria

Also more in the Goth Metal direction:

Elysion
Lacuna Coil
Memoira
Nemesea
Unsun
We Are The Fallen

Power Metal:

Dragonforce
Sonata Arctica

Death/Black/Mainstream/Other Metal:

Elvenking
Engel
Iron Maiden
Moonspell
Overtures
Rob Zombie
Savatage
Sawlegen
Seduce The Heaven
The ones I bolded I also listen to as well.

Wow....the only ones on that list I listen to are:
Apocalyptica
Lacuna Coil

,,,and of course Iron Maiden and Rob Zombie. I think I might have heard Moonspell before though....sounds really familiar.

Surprised no Opeth on that list. I really like them - even when they are kind of death metal screamo, the underlying melody is...well...a melody. And their more mellow songs (ie, not screamo at all), are wonderful! Blackwater Park is a fabulous album....but this song in particular is so mellow it's hard to believe it's by a death metal band:

I also have the 'usual suspect' Metallica albums...but I'm not really interested in anything much from among their newer albums. And I have some Dream Theater albums, of course....and some Disturbed, Godsmack, Saliva.... I really like Tool...and I guess some of their stuff ventures into prog metal......Five Finger Death Punch is decent...

I have also gotten into a band called Graveyard...sort of psychedelic rock/metal along the lines of Black Sabbath....Found them when I was looking for psychedelic....I don't think they are that well known...but not bad:

I don't know...for me, metal can be tricky because I don't really like pure screamo for the sake of it. A band has to be capable of other things besides screaming into a mic. Give me some melody...some technique....something! But then, I'm not a huge fan of Nightwish either. Too....over the top I think. Can't put a finger on it...although doing Andrew Lloyd Webber showtunes in their style might have a lot to do with it.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote