View Single Post
Old July 31 2012, 02:00 AM   #44
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Greg, I get what you are saying, I just don't understand how you could find FS "emotionally gripping" based on what (admittedly little) I saw of it. It just didn't click with me.

On the other hand, I can name at least half a dozen emotionally gripping moments from B5 without even thinking about it.
Well, for one thing, the love story between Aeryn and Crichton is probably one of the great romances in genre tv history. Plus, you have Crais's painful transition from heavy to tragic hero, Scorpius's ambiguous agendas, lots of heartache and betrayal, a few tragic deaths (which I'm reluctant to reveal too much about), etc. Heck, even the ship had a stormy relationship with her son!

Just look at episodes like "The Way We Weren't" or "Die Die Dichotomy." ("Taking the Stone," on the other hand, should be avoided at all costs.)

As with most serialized dramas, I suspect you have to get to know the characters to really appreciate the ongoing story arcs. Would any of Londo's big moments have any impact if you'd only seen a handful of episodes and didn't really grasp his tragic fall?

"So, some dude with wacky hair was arguing with some big lizard guy about shadows and Vorlons and stuff. I didn't get what the big deal was."